|Jenn prepares salad for the health fair.|
This season in the Marshall Educational Garden we have a wonderful variety of leafy greens and root vegetables flourishing in our greenhouse. To celebrate Food Day this week, FoodCorps Service member Jenn and her students harvested carrots and arugula to create a vibrant and delicious salad to share with their community at Marshall’s Health Fair. The sweet carrots and peppery arugula made a wonderful salad paired with salty parmesan cheese, tangy cranberries, buttery pecans, and topped with a mouth-watering ginger honey vinaigrette! Not only is this salad a very tasty dish, it is full of vitamins and nutrients.
Ingredients that pack a punch!
- GINGER: improves absorption & assimilation of nutrients in your body, clears your sinuses, eases nausea, reduces flatulence, soothes joint pain, relieves stomach cramps.
- ARUGULA: contains a multitude of nutrients and antioxidants that regulate immune function and play a role in cancer prevention.
- CARROTS: protect your vision, is good for your teeth, reduces the risk of stroke, and is full of nutrients and antioxidants
Carrot Arugula Salad
1 bunch arugula, torn into large pieces, about 4 cups
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 to 2 tablespoons raw agave nectar or honey, to taste
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 cups peeled and grated carrot
1/4 cup dried cranberries or currants
1 cup shaved parmesan cheese
Handful pecans, chopped
- Place the arugula and carrots in a mixing bowl. Whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, ginger, agave nectar, and salt until well combined.
- Pour over the arugula and gently toss until all of the leaves are coated. Serve this arugula salad topped with the parmesan cheese, cranberries, and pecans.
- -By Jenn Warren